Clongowes Wood College

The Irish College of English is delighted to announce our partnership with Clongowes Wood College for our International Junior Summer Camp in 2019. Founded in 1814, Clongowes Wood College is one of Ireland’s most historic Residential Boarding Schools. Famous past pupils include James Joyce and many of Ireland’s most famous politicians and sports stars.

Just 40 minutes from Dublin Airport and Dublin City Centre, the Campus is set in 250 beautiful acres. The Campus includes historical buildings and state-of-the-art modern facilities including brand new 25 metre swimming pool, modern sports hall and gymnasium, all-weather sports fields, tennis courts and golf course.

Students attending our International Junior Summer Camp will enjoy a a complete English Language and Multi-Activity Programme. The course includes 15 – 21 hours of English language classes per week with as well as a skills based Evening Elective Programme which includes leadership skills, practical science, cookery, yoga, karate, Music and extra English fluency classes.

The afternoon and weekend activity programme includes 2 cultural and sightseeing trips exploring Dublin each week and sports activities on campus as well as full-day excursions around Ireland on Saturdays.

Course Highlights

• Students immersed into way of life in a historic Irish Boarding School
• Campus just 40 minutes from Dublin Airport and Dublin City Centre
• High level of academics with progression focused English Language Classes
• Students live in a safe rural location with full time supervision
• Students mix with children from all over the world and have opportunity to mix with Irish teenagers
• Great choice of electives including extra academics, sports and Irish focused classes
• Students learn new life skills, challenge themselves and gain confidence, respect and independence

 

History of Clongowes Wood College

The school traces its history back to a 799-acre estate owned by the Wogan family in 1418 under the reign of Henry IV. The name “Clongowes” comes from the Irish for “meadow” (cluain) and for “blacksmith” (gobha). The estate was originally known as “Clongowes de Silva” (de Silva meaning “of the wood” in Latin). The estate later passed to the Eustace family and became part of the fortified border of the pale in 1494. The Eustaces lost their estates during the Restoration (1660). The estate was sold by the Wogan-Brownes to the Jesuits in March 1814 for £16,000. The school accepted its first pupil, James McLornan, on 18 May 1814.

 

Academic Facilities

• State of the Art Classrooms

• Science Laboratories

• Music Room

• Computer Rooms

• James Joyce Library

• Study and Quiet Areas

• WiFi

• Multimedia Centre

Residential Facilities

• Modern  Style Rooms catering for 1 -3 students per unit with relaxation areas

• Large Impressive Dining Room, all catering on site

• Relaxation Areas • Movie and Theatre Facilities

 

Sports Facilities

• 25 metre Swimming Pool

• Indoor Sport Halls with Basketball, Indoor Soccer, Badminton, Volleyball

• All Weather Multi-Purpose Pitches with Floodlight Facilities

• 6 All Weather Tennis Courts

• Indoor Sport Halls with Basketball, Indoor Soccer, Badminton, Volleyball

• Soccer, Rugby and Cricket pitches

• Golf Course

 

ICE Brochure 2019

ICE Courses and Fees 2019

Book a Course Online   

Junior Summer Camp Booking Form